It is that time of the year again when it is fun to have a picnic. But to have a successful experience you might need to stock up first on a few picnic accessories which you might need. It is always better being prepared with having everything you need and then you aren’t making a last-minute dash to the shops, spending money on items that you probably don’t really need. Having your picnic accessories all ready and waiting will make it possible to have those spontaneous summer picnics and make memories with your family you will never forget.
Affiliate links support How To Get Organized At Home
The Best Picnic Accessories
You need to ensure that you have supplies on hand so you can grab everything you need and head out for a picnic. These are the best times when you can make memories with your family and just enjoy the summer together.
- You need a blanket or something to sit on, I remember the car blanket we had when the children were little, but they have improved so much since then. These blankets ensure you won’t get damp creeping up from the ground!
- If you don’t want to sit on the floor then you need to consider lightweight camping chairs, remember it is something else you will need to carry!
- A hamper to carry your supplies, let me assure you the traditional wicker ones are not very practical when you have options like these! You want to be able to carry your food and accessories with ease!
- Plates and cutlery are an essential item for your picnic hamper. Whilst paper plates and plastic cutlery means no washing up, you still need to find a bin to dispose of these properly. I always found plastic plates and normal cutlery the better option!
- Food storage is important, you do have a choice and it depends on what you normally use, I like to use plastic containers, I think it holds the food nicer! There is nothing worse than squashed food! But I’m tempted to try these cloth sandwich bags!
- Something to drink from is a must, for children a plastic beaker is a great option, one with a lid makes spills less frequent! For the adults, if they are after a hot drink they will need something slightly more robust and a flask of hot water.
- To keep your food or drinks cool, a cool bag is an option if you’re worried about food spoiling in the heat!
- Protecting your food from the elements is important and you can do this simply enough with a food net cover. I have one of these up covering my fruit bowl all summer, I just can’t bear the thought of insects crawling over the food!
- If you intend to take your dog with you on your picnic ensure that you pack their water bowl, it makes it easier to let them have a drink! We have this collapsible water bowl and it makes carrying it so much easier too!
- Having sun hats ready to go is important, you want to keep the sun’s harmful rays off the most important part of your body, your head.
- You must never travel anywhere in the summer without sun cream, it is so important to protect the skin from sunburn. Not only does it really hurt, it is also linked to getting skin cancer! I always go with a named brand because I worry about some of the cheaper options available.
- Whilst you are enjoying your picnic, think about the car you will get back inside, keeping the temperature down inside your car is as simple as placing a sun visor across the inside of the front window!
- Protecting your family from those little annoying insects that want to eat you alive is key to a successful picnic. So, don’t forget your bug spray when you are packing up your picnic accessories.
- Having family fun whilst eating and enjoying good food is the perfect way to make family memories. So don’t forget the games that you can play as a family in the sun, from flying a kite to just kicking around a ball!
I hope I have given you some great ideas to get together so you are ready for all those summer picnics that you can have because you’re organized and ready for the fun.
Therefore, the more you get ready in advance the easy it is to just pack up some food and grab your picnic accessories and head out in the summer sun to have some fun with your family!
Looking for more information on activities in the summer then head over to the landing page where you will find links to other articles.
What is your best picnic tip?
I wrote an article I think you will enjoy. Fun In The Shade This Summer.