Writing a budget is not the easiest thing to do especially if you are still new to the concept of budgeting. Understanding how to make your money stretch can be difficult, but once you have mastered the art of making a budget you will quickly reap the benefits.
- Time is the most important option that you will need to have if you are looking to create a budget that is going to work. Without sufficient time you might forget an item, or find the situation too difficult and rush your budget. This can have disastrous consequences; it can be left incomplete for the whole month, which could have a negative impact on your cash flow and your plans of creating a budget.
- Preparations you need to create a budget: it depends if you are going to create your budget on a computer, or alternatively, creating a budget on paper. If you are using a computer, utilising either a spreadsheet or a tailored computer programme, getting the basics set up before you actually start can speed up the process. Creating a spreadsheet, or loading the programme, will save you time when you need to spend time working out your budget. A budget set out on paper will be visually better if analysis paper is used, heading up the columns as required.
- Getting all your bills together before you start will allow you to start your budget. It is important that you find all the details including the interest rate that you are currently paying, knowing the length of time left on a loan, or the amount that you are paying each month. This will decrease the time that you will need to spend when creating your budget.
- Bringing together the information of the money that you have got coming into your home will also speed up the creation of your budget. It is important to note all income sources including any benefits so you can make an accurate budget.
- Commitment is going to be the hardest task of all, but if you have spent hours creating a budget for your spouse to just spend all the money, then it will not be worth your time in trying to budget. It can be a difficult adjustment for everyone to come on board with creating a budget. But once you see the improvements that it can offer, it will help make your money stretch further. If you can’t get commitment from your partner, then it could mean that a budget is going to be something that you might work on in the future, it might not be the right time to create one now.
Don’t give up writing a budget for you and your family; it will have a positive impact on your ability to become financially free. It is difficult to stick to a budget to begin with, there are going to be times that are challenging, and difficult. Writing a budget and sticking to it is going to require practice. It is not going to be plain sailing, so give yourself time to get used to managing your money in a different way.
Grab My FREE Budgeting Printable
This will help you sort your daily Spending.