Do you struggle when it comes to getting glass clean and streak free? It is something that really bugs me and I sometimes put off cleaning windows if I know that it is going to annoy me if I can’t get the streaks out!
Yes, there are times when my windows aren’t clean or have the occasional streak! But, seriously this isn’t the end of the world, or so I’ve been told!
How you tackle your window cleaning is a personal preference, for me that means cleaning them by hand and often it is only me that tackles this cleaning task!
Affiliate links support How To Get Organized At Home
What Glass Do You Struggle With
It is amazing the amount of glass that we have in our homes, from windows, shower doors internal doors and mirrors. The trouble is, they all need cleaning and cleaning regularly to ensure that they are kept in great condition and look good too!
The way you tackle this glass in your home is a personal preference, you might have one technique for one area and a completely different approach for another!
This is fine as long as it works!
Why You Need To Clean Glass
For me, there is nothing worse than smears on glass! They annoy me and sometimes they seem to come with a clean window!
You need to clean glass to protect it and to make sure it is working to its full potential.
Dirt and grime can and will damage the glass and it might need replacing more frequently than glass that is kept in tip-top condition!
The glass in shower doors, if allowed to get dirty will make the bathroom a less than pleasant place to visit!
If you don’t clean your mirrors you won’t be able to see your reflection and it will reduce the light in your home. The positioning of mirrors in your home will reflect the light! Making even the darkest of corners to have the potential of getting some more light!
How To Clean Glass
If you struggle getting glass clean and streak free there are some great tips that will help you in this quest!
- Don’t clean windows in direct sunlight, this can bake on the cleaning product before you have time to polish to a shine!
- Don’t attempt too many windows at once, this can lead you to feel tired and unmotivated to do a great job on the last window!
- Cleaning windows frequently makes the job easier!
- Don’t expect perfection!
I think for me the last one is the hardest, it bugs me if there are smears!
Myths And Products
There are so many myths and different advice for cleaning windows. The important thing to remember is being happy with the choices that you make and the results that you get!
The choices that you have for cleaning windows is great, perhaps one of the largest options in cleaning!
- Using newspaper to clean and dry windows
- Using dish detergent and warm water
- Commercial cleaning products
- White vinegar
- Microfibre cloths
The choices just seem to increase!
You have to find a product that you like, you might buy a commercial product which you love and that is fine.
I have tried the commercial products in the past, I have even given window cleaners a shot, too! But, currently, I am using a white vinegar and water solution and a dry microfiber cloth to dry and polish the windows to a shine!
Getting Glass Clean And Streak Free
There are some tips that will help you get the streak free finish that so many people are looking for!
- The time of the day that you clean, if the sun is directly on the window, it is difficult to get the product off in time and it can dry streaky.
- Rushing the task, while professional window cleaners can quickly and easily clean windows, it is not something you should try, and the more you rush the more likely your results will be a streaky mess!
- The products, many claim to work and will leave your windows streak free! If a commercial cleaner is making that statement then you need to question when this doesn’t happen, how do they suggest you need to clean, read their instructions carefully!
- Frequency of the cleaning, the more you clean the less dirt you need to remove, this helps to make the task easier and less likely to cause streaking!
- Watermarks leave deposits behind on the glass, this is true on shower doors and why it is a good idea to remove water deposits to avoid staining and streaking of the glass!
Make Glass Cleaning Easier
It is important to keep the glass in your home clean, it isn’t always the easiest job, the easier you make the task the easier it is to keep them clean!
Therefore, if you are looking to getting glass clean and streak free there are a few options that you can try! Don’t be afraid to change how you clean or the frequency of the clean!
The most important point is letting go of perfection, it is seriously not an easy task but one that might make cleaning your windows easier!
What are your best tips for getting glass clean and streak free? Comment below!