If you are looking to save money this winter then you could look at reducing the costs involved in heating your home. There are many different ways that you can help reduce the bills from the energy companies, and they all work.
By following some of these different tips you will notice a saving on your energy bill over the year; you might not think that there is much difference in your monthly bills but if you compare the annual costs you will notice the difference. It might just be the difference that is normally part of the increase due to inflation rises, but any reduction will, in the long-term, save you money.
- If you aim to turn down your thermostat by just 1 degree, the potential savings that you make can be as much as 3% off your bill. Any saving is a good saving and many people don’t notice the 1 degree change in the temperature of their home. You might even be able to get away with a couple of degrees before you notice a difference.
- If you use an extractor fan in your kitchen or bathroom, once they have removed the excess moisture from the room it is a good idea to turn them off, otherwise they are pumping your heating outside, too.
- The temperature of the hot water in your home is another area that you can save money. Turning the temperature down means that the energy used to heat the water is reduced and this saves money on your heating bills.
- It is important that you have curtains fitted and don’t have them blocking the radiators. This will reduce the amount of heat coming into the room, you will be heating up the space between the curtain and the window and not your actual room.
- Good maintenance plan for your boiler. If you look after your boiler it will run efficiently and this will reduce the amount of energy that it uses. It is a great way to protect your family too. A poorly serviced boiler can kill if it lets carbon monoxide into your home; you will not know that it is there and you won’t be able to smell it either.
- Insulation will help reduce the heating costs; it will allow you to properly heat your home, without heating the bird’s feet as they sit on your roof. There is a minimum amount of insulation that is recommended for your roof, and getting your cavity walls insulated can save you money on your heating bills, too.
Why reduce heating costs
The main reason that most people choose to reduce their heating costs is to lower their energy bills, but also in combination with going green. Having a green outlook is a way to invest in the planet and reduce the greenhouse gasses that are present in the environment. The fewer chemicals released into the atmosphere, the lower your carbon footprint is. This shows that you are taking care of the planet on which we live.
If you have problems with your energy supplier, knowing where to turn for help is important, that is why the Ombudsman Service is there for you.