There are some great ideas that can help you organize everyday items that can be difficult to store and can quickly become untidy.
- Hairbands are difficult to keep tidy; putting them in a box can make them become quickly tangled and uneasy to sort. Storing them on a carabiner keeps them tidy and quick to retrieve.
- Necklaces can get tangled very easily and if they have any decorations attached, these can get hooked together and break.
Key hooks are perfect for keeping your necklaces on and tangle-free, you can either make them a feature on your wall or hide them on the back of a door.
- Using a tension rod under your kitchen sink is perfect for hanging cleaning bottles; this keeps the floor of the cupboard clear for other cleaning products.
- Tic tac boxes are the perfect size when empty for storing your bobby pins.
- Glass lids from jars are great for storing little odds and ends in your junk drawer, like paper clips and elastic bands.
- When sorting your linen, place your bed sets together inside one of the pillowcases, it keeps your linen closet neat and tidy.
- Have a magnetic board in your daughter’s room and cheap magnets that she can attach to her makeup supply, a great way to keep the work surfaces clear of makeup items.
- CD racks are great for putting your lids in all the containers, keeping them tidy and accessible.
- Egg boxes are great for storing those small and delicate objects like baubles that are only needed a few months of the year.
- An old shoebox decorated and filled with empty toilet rolls makes a great way to hold pens and pencils tidily.
- Ice cube trays are perfect for keeping tiny items like earrings neat and tidy.
- Organizing recipes can be difficult but keeping them in a ring binder inside poly pockets is a great way to protect the recipe too.
- Have a plastic shoe organizer to pop in small items of stationary; it is a great way to see when you need to stock up on supplies.
- Want to keep memories together? Put items from one person in a box or file, that way you can keep special mementos, but when your children leave home they will be able to take the memories with them.
It is important to find a home for all your items; if you know where they belong and they have a home, tidying can often be accomplished quickly. But it is also important that you are able to let things go. There is no reason to hang onto every item that you have ever owned, they might have memories associated but those memories are in your mind and your heart and not in the possessions.
Being organized and having an organized home is going to take time, it is not going to happen overnight, and you will need to practice putting things away and getting tasks completed. But, once you start to see the positive results of your effort this will be your reward.