Are you fed up with an organized mess in your home office? Are you looking for simple home office organization tips that actually work?
I’ve got you covered! I hate working in a mess and I spend so much time organizing my home office, I think I have a few answers that you need to get your home office straight!
Finding office organization tips that work is one thing!
Implementing these tips into your working life is important! You don’t want things making your life more complicated, I get it, time is precious!
Simple Home Office Organization Tips
Having an organized office will reduce stress and it will allow you to find the items you are looking for with ease.
You will be in control of your office and not your office in control of you.
You can take these tips to work too! Organization in the workplace will set a great example for other colleagues as well as your managers too!
Home Office Organization Tips
Creating the right working environment is important, there is nothing worse than wasting time looking for a document because you have no systems in place.
Getting your home office organization and storage sorted out will be time that is well spent, and you will notice the difference immediately!
- A clear desk is a productive desk, the more items you have on your desk the more likely you will either be distracted by the clutter or you will get sidetracked from the task in hand. Have only the items you are working on at that moment on your desk, everything else is in the appropriate places.
- Planning, this is key to an organized office, you need to know what you are doing and when; without planning you won’t be organizing your time appropriately. Planning helps to identify the important things you need to do and to fit in those tasks that help move you towards your goals and dreams. If you prefer an electronic planner try this Free Cozi Planner to help you get organized!
- Labels are one of the most important tasks you need to keep on top of, a label must tell you what you need to know. Without this, it is difficult to determine the contents of a file or a document stored on your computer, without wasting time to check. Having items correctly labelled will save you time when you are looking for a document.
Finding Simple Systems That Work
Make your home office work for you and your family!
- Systems that work are important, just because it has always been completed in a certain way doesn’t mean it is the only way. If something stops working, have the courage to look at the options available to make the task easier in the future.
- Organize your files so they make sense to you. Sometimes, you might take over someone else’s systems when you move to a new job or you might have people telling you the best way to organize, you have to go with what works for you.
- Colour coding works well for some people, they use different colours for different aspects of their filling or even in their planners to help identify different items quickly. But don’t feel that you have to adopt this tip if you aren’t colour focused. I can’t use colour in this way, it doesn’t have any effect on how I see things, colour for me is a way to pretty something and not to use as a task identifier or a particular document or file.
Join My FREE Printable Library
Have A Place For Everything
A great system is one that works for every aspect of your life, you know what to do and when!
- You must have a place to take notes, write down ideas or thoughts, I think this is important, often I’m working and something random pops in my head, I don’t want to disrupt what I am working on, but I know that I need to write this thought down to deal with later. If I am out I will make a note on my phone, if I am working I will note it down in my notebook with the date. I make a point of checking this daily and taking the appropriate action for the thought or idea.
- If a system that you are using is becoming more of a chore and doesn’t feel like it is working correctly, then you must work out what the problem is to make adjustments. Don’t keep a system which is no longer working for you, it will mean that you are less likely to tackle the task, and you might let it build up to when the task feels unmanageable.
- I think the most important aspect in an organized office is a timer, it allows you to focus on the work you are tackling, but it also is a great reminder for appointments and having regular breaks. It helps me ensure that I get everything done!
Rules For A Home Office That Work
You need to have rules or boundaries to make systems work!
- An organized computer is just as important as an organized office, you need to find the documents that you need. You don’t need to have an inbox that is full of unread emails, you will miss something important and can have a negative impact on your job. Take the time to set up systems that work for you, that are a way to remember where you store items and to never let your inbox get out of control. You can read all about computer organization here!
- Have a trash bin, you might need to have more than one, just remember to use them, your office deserves organization and you need a place to put the rubbish or the recycling and make sure that you empty these regularly.
- Don’t eat at your desk, while this might seem like an easy option to allow you to continue working, it will have a negative impact on your office organization, spillages happen and this is always on important paperwork and having sticking computer keys is not professional nor are they easy to clean. It is better for your health and your mind to have a complete break and eating away from your office will give you the break you need.
Office Organization Ideas
Using these office organization tips will help you become more focused whilst working and better able to meet deadlines and appointments because you will have your days planned and organized too!
If you get your office organization right it will help you find the things that you need when you need them.
It will reflect well on your ability to work effectively and can even help your career move forward.
But most importantly it will reduce the stress that you feel and can help you have a more positive outlook on your working environment and impress others you work with.
Understanding which office organization tips that work for you and ignoring those ideas that you know just won’t work will give you an office system that works and not one that you spend time trying to make work!
How To Organize Your Home Office
The simplest ideas are often the best ideas! Don’t over complicate something that doesn’t need to be complicated!
I often think about people who jump head first into a new system without taking the time to see if this system is going to fit their needs.
Just because a system works for someone else, doesn’t mean that it’s going to work for you!
Everyone is different and have different ways of organizing, you have to find out what is the best option for you before you spend money on a new system that might not even work!
Take your time when it comes to organizing, tackle just one area at a time. This way you will give yourself time to get used to a system before you start organizing another system.
Think about what will work for your family!
Don’t spend money on a new system, unless you are sure that it’s going to work for you and your family.
Simple systems are often the best, the more complicated something is to do the less likely you will take the time you need to organize it!
Take your time, you aren’t going to do everything in one go, it’s going to take time, make sure you give yourself plenty of time to do what you need to do!