Sometimes it isn’t easy to know or see if you are hoarding clutter! It has a way of hiding in plain sight and you can walk past it each day and not notice it is there.
However, there are ways that you can check your home to find this clutter and to remove it from your home. How you dispose of it is personal, you might want to donate some items to charity, or sell things to make some money.
Alternatively, some things will end up in the bin and that is OK.
Affiliate links support How To Get Organized At Home
Are You Hoarding Clutter?
It is amazing how easy it is for clutter to enter our homes and we are unaware of its presence. Are you hoarding clutter in your home?
There are things you can do to help you tackle this clutter, which can sneak into our homes, live under our noses and yet unable to see how it infects our homes.
There isn’t proof that it is bad for our health to have too much stuff, however, we do live in a society where the idea of buying more and spending more money, often on credit, is an acceptable norm.
How To Tell If You Are Hoarding Clutter
- Do you have space? This is a great question to ask yourself if you have limited space in your home, is every corner full with things, items that you just have?
- Do you need more storage? This is a question that if you need to answer in the affirmative, the chances are very high that you have clutter you could remove from your home!
- It will come in useful! These few words are the biggest sign that this item is going to end up as clutter in your home.
- Do you have more than one? If you have duplicate items, the chances of using more than one item is very slim. If you have multiple items of the same thing, look at getting rid of the multiples unless you use them all regularly.
- Do you de-clutter regularly? If you don’t look at what is in your home and empty some of the clutter, the chances are high that you already have clutter hiding in your home.
- Do you buy lots of things? If you like to make your home look and feel nice, there is nothing wrong with this, it is when you buy more than you need. You just don’t spend enough time removing some of the old things from your home when you bring in something new.
- Do you love everything you own? This might seem like an odd question, but if you don’t even like the items in your home why are they still there? It is your home and the things that you surround yourself with, your possessions, you must love them!
- Do you own a lot? There are times that by just owning a lot of items, there just is more than we need. I am not suggesting you need to become a minimalist, but thinking about what you own is important.
What To Do If You discover You Are Hoarding Clutter
I have never thought of myself as a hoarder, yet recently I mentioned a few magazines I had that dated back to 2003 and my children, just looked at me and said, ‘it is because you are a hoarder, mum!’
I was in total shock, what had happened and the simple truth was I haven’t had a decluttering session in a while.
How To Start The Decluttering Process
So, to start the process is simple, you need to look at what is in your home and what you need and remove the items that you don’t need.
It sounds simple but it’s a very time-consuming task and one that isn’t going to happen overnight, you have to plan your sessions and keep them short.
When I was decluttering I found items that were kept, just in case; I knew these needed to go!
I have managed to get rid of a few items and I know there are more to go, it is about spending time in this activity.
However, it is also about fitting in another item on the to-do list. That is another problem that you have to address. Finding the time to declutter.
I don’t have a lot of time to spare, so literally I do 5 or 10 minutes a couple of times a week on the process of decluttering!
If you are looking for more information on this topic, this book, The Life-Changing Magic Of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo, is an excellent choice!
Getting Help If You Are Hoarding Clutter
While there is nothing wrong with having lots of items, there does come a point when you have too much stuff and you just can’t go on.
I know that a lot of the problems associated with hoarding are mental and sometimes people do need to get help. It isn’t easy but in the end it is worth it!
Therefore, if you are wondering if you have too much stuff, or if you have clutter in your home, there are questions you can ask yourself that will help you decide.
What is your best tip to tell if you are hoarding clutter in your home? Comment below!
However, you have to make those choices, things that you want and the things that you don’t. It is easy to put off making these choices, but in the long-run, they will make your life easier!