If you are feeling stress at work then it is important that you act now before the pressure gets too much. Managing stress at work is difficult if you have deadlines to meet, targets to reach and just the daily tasks and workload can have a negative impact on your health. It can also negatively affect the way you work, you can have a negative attitude towards your job and this can affect future promotion opportunities. It is important to deal with stress at work before it becomes a serious problem.
Signs and Symptoms Of Stress At Work
There are a number of different conditions that can affect you and are all symptoms of stress and anxiety.
- Depression is a clear sign that you are under too much stress and you need to get help. It is not a sign of weakness but a clear indicator that you are doing more than you can manage. If you are in a high stress job, you have an 80% chance of becoming depressed.
- High blood pressure and heart related problems have connections with a stressful environment.
- Bad health choices are a prime example of stress at work. Not enough time to find healthy food results in obesity and an increase in habits like smoking.
- Those people who have conditions like asthma will be worse with stressful jobs.
- A common trigger of a headache is having too much stress in your life.
- Stomach ulcers are another common condition found in people with highly stressful jobs and careers.
How To Deal With Stress At Work
Stress at work is difficult to manage if you are in a high stressed job with high demands on your time and your skills. What is important to remember is your health is important too.
While you job demands a lot from you, the situation could become worse if you have to go on sick leave because of a number of conditions, including an episode of depression or off work through stomach ulcers, all of which are a possibility if you are not putting your health as a top priority.
Talk to you supervisor or manager and explain to them the situation; they might be able to help reduce the pressure by finding other people who are able to do some of your tasks. It is difficult to ask for help and sometimes there is no possibility of any help, due to the nature of the current economic climate.
The worry that many people have is losing their job because they feel that their boss won’t understand. If there is pressure like this at your place of work, have you considered organizing your working life and ensuring that you allocate enough time in your day to do the items required.
It is possible that changing how you work can reduce the stress that you feel at work. You could change how you organize your day; this can have a positive effect on how you feel making your job seem less stressful.
Stress release is important, finding ways in which you are able to release the pressure is important, too. Many people who are in stressful jobs participate in some sort of sporting activity. What you choose will depend on what you like; it could be a fast-paced activity like squash or a more relaxing option like yoga. Both extremes of sport will help you to release the tension that’s associated with stress, making you more able to deal with the pressures of stress at work.
Therefore, if you are suffering from stress at work it is important that you consider the different options open to you, to get the support you need to reduce the levels of stress you feel.