Saving money is important to me, after all, I work hard for my money so I want to make sure that I am making every effort possible to make the money I have last as long as possible. This made me wonder if I could list ways to save money; it was not as difficult a task as I thought it might have been. I hope you can find some ideas here that can help you save money and make your money go that bit further, after all, every little helps.
Affiliate links support How To Get Organized At Home
50 Ways To Save Money
- Create a budget, this will tell you what money you have and what you need to spend on bills. If you are looking for more information on budgeting I love the author of this book!
- Go shopping with a list, this way you actually buy what you need.
- Take only cash with you when you shop, it will stop you putting impulse purchases on your card, saving you money.
- Make your own food at home, you don’t have to buy cakes and food ready-made, it is so much nicer to make these things at home and it is often cheaper too.
- Cut back on eating out, it is expensive and often home-cooked food is better for your health.
- Cancel those memberships you no longer use, if you have a gym membership that you haven’t used, see if you can cancel the agreement.
- Turn your heating down by a degree, you won’t notice the temperature drop but your bills will.
- Turn the water temperature down; people often have this set too high.
- Put on a jumper before turning up the heat.
- Buy items in bulk, only if you know you will use them, they are not a bargain if you have to throw them away because you didn’t use them.
- Replace your light bulbs with LED light bulbs; they are more energy-efficient, saving you money.
- Create a spend free month, this isn’t as scary as it sounds, just agree not to buy anything that isn’t essential.
- Do your own cleaning, it isn’t always easy to fit the cleaning in, but if you can manage it yourself it will save you money.
- Cut your own grass, it is a great way to get exercise and fresh air too.
- Cut the cable or the satellite TV services, do you really watch all that TV?
- Go to the library instead of buying books, it is better for your bank balance.
- Sell things you don’t need, it makes your money and frees up space in your home.
- Buy goods second-hand; you don’t always need to buy new.
- Try making your own freezer meals. The idea is to make meals that you can use quickly instead of turning for the convenient ready meals, and by making these yourself you know they are a lot healthier for your family.
- Walk instead of using the car, the cost of fuel is never coming down, so saving money by walking instead of using your car will reduce your car’s running costs.
- Walk your dogs, don’t use a dog walking service, it will save you money and you can get fit at the same time.
- Don’t shop the sales, they are after all just a retailer’s way of getting rid of the end of season items.
- Don’t shop when hungry, this is just asking for a disaster, you will spend more money and buy food you didn’t really want.
- Grow your own fruit and vegetables, you know what you put on these and they are healthy for you and saves your family money in the end.
- Recycle goods like mobile phones, we all change our phones and you might as well get some money back on the old ones you have lying about.
- Cash back credit and debit cards, if you are confident that you can manage a credit card and spend money on it knowing you have the money then these options are great, they give you money back on your purchases.
- Use comparison sites to make sure you are getting the best deal, they bring deals together so you can compare the prices, but not all companies use these so make sure you check all options to get the best deal.
- Check your suppliers to see if you can get your energy cheaper. Many companies are looking for your custom so find the one that gives you the best value for your gas and/or electric needs.
- Can you reduce the cost of your mobile phones? Try asking your current supplier for a cheaper option. Alternatively, when the contract is up look around to find what is available.
- Rent a dress for a special occasion instead of buying one, especially if you don’t intend to wear the dress again.
- Using a slow cooker will save you money; it is cheaper to run than turning on your oven to cook something.
- Don’t buy bottled water, if your water from the tap is safe to drink then you should drink this rather than buying bottled water.
- Consider a re-mortgage, sometimes it is cheaper to re-mortgage your home to get lower payments, but don’t get sucked into the trap of extending your mortgage, this means you will pay more in the long-term.
- Turn off appliances when not using them; they are still drawing power even if they aren’t in use.
- Shop in cheaper shops like Aldi, it will save you money.
- Collect your loose change; it is surprising how quickly this can add up!
- Don’t waste food, we buy food and then forget to use the items and more than often you end up throwing away items that have gone off! This is wasting money and food.
- Don’t buy bargains unless you will use them, it is very easy to see a bargain and thinking it will save you money, but this is only the case if you want and need the item.
- Clear your debt, this is an important way to save money. Clearing debt means that you are not paying for the goods and interest payments to the credit company, too.
- Get a water meter to cut your water bills, if you don’t have a meter getting one can save you money, you are then paying for what you use and not a set bill that isn’t linked to what you use.
- Try own brand goods instead of named brands, you can get some very good supermarket own brand items.
- Try your hand at DIY, sometimes it is possible to do things yourself, but don’t be tempted with something out of your skills range.
- Learn to say no to children and your partner, it isn’t easy when your child asks for things and you have to say no, I know I have been there! But you have to stay strong, the same if your partner wants to spend money; talking about potential purchases ensures you are on the same page when it comes to money.
- Finding cheap date night alternatives, a date doesn’t have to cost a fortune, finding cheaper alternatives is a great way to have fun. It is easy to come up with different ways to save money whilst having fun!
- Avoid the lottery or gambling, the chances of winning are very low.
- Give up smoking, or reduce the amount you smoke, it is a great way to save money, try putting the money you would have spent into a jar and watch how quickly it adds up!
- Give up or reduce the amount of alcohol you consume.
- Look at the efficiency when buying an item; you don’t want it to guzzle energy when being used.
- Try overpaying your mortgage; you will save money on the interest you would have paid.
- Using a water-butt to save rainwater to water your garden saves you money and your plants will like this water better than tap water.
I wrote this article and I thought it fitted in with the theme of this post, as a great stepping stone to further discuss the idea of saving money but being green too! Saving Money And Being Green.
Therefore, it is possible to find 50 ways to save money, I didn’t think I would think of 50, but when I got going they started to flow! When you put your mind to something, it is possible to find ways to save money. What is important is find the ways to save money that are right for you and your current financial situation.
Grab My FREE Budgeting Printable
This will help you sort your daily Spending.