Cleaning your fridge mightn’t be at the top of your to do list but there are some very good reasons that might motivate you into cleaning.
- Living on your own or even as part of a family, it is being an adult that you need to accept responsibility for the cleanliness of the inside of your refrigerator. You and your family deserve a clean fridge.
- A clean fridge will reduce any possibility of you becoming ill from food poisoning caused by poor hygiene. Salmonella is not a pleasant illness to experience and reducing the chances of your food from being contaminated, it is important that you keep your fridge clean.
- Opening a clean fridge can make it a pleasant experience, where you feel good about the contents. You are not dreading opening up to see the contents of a health hazard and wondering when you are going to find the time to do yet another job. Spending a minute of two every time you open the fridge ensuring that any spills get cleaned up and the shelves are clean and tidy will keep your fridge looking nice.
- Food that is going out of date or is mouldy and decaying needs throwing away. Whilst some people are more cautious with the best before dates and others continue to consume the food, there are instances that it is better to follow the instructions with food that can spoil easily like coleslaw and milk. If you consume these foods when they have gone out of date, it can cause an upset stomach and this can be fatal for the very young or an older person. This food will smell and can make even opening of the fridge an unpleasant experience. It will also give you an opportunity to ensure you are using up products before they go off, saving you money.
- Having a clean fridge every time you open it will give you a positive feeling; it will make you feel proud that you are keeping on top of a job that needs constant attention. You will feel good knowing that your family are benefiting from you keeping their health at the forefront of your mind.
How to clean your fridge
It is important that you keep your cleaning routine simple, cleaning your fridge can be as simple as wiping off the shelves with a damp cloth. I use hot soapy water for most of my fridge cleaning, with the occasional kitchen spray clean.
If you have glass shelving in your fridge, it is less important for the shelf you chose to store items on, as there is no chance of spills dripping down between the shelves onto other food items.
However, there are areas of your fridge that are at a more constant temperature that are better for storing items, check your manufacturers instruction booklet for the recommended areas for your product.
Therefore, whilst cleaning the fridge is another job that needs doing on a regular basis, if you include it into your daily routine your fridge will stay fresh and clean without any effort on your part.