Saving money and getting a bargain is great but it actually needs to save you money long-term. Sometimes it is not always the best advice to purchase second-hand and it might be more beneficial to save up some more and actually purchase the item brand new. It is not accepting of second-hand goods, but getting the best value items for the money involved. There are some occasions when it is better to purchase an item new rather than looking for a second-hand option.
Second Hand Items
I am all for getting a bargain and saving money where I can, what I do object to is spending money on items that in truth don’t save you money, because they might come with more than you bargained for and in the end they can even cost you more.
- If you are looking for a sun hat, you might think twice when you realize that they are very difficult to clean and you might just be a breeding ground for any animal life that the previous owner had before giving to charity. You might then have to deal with lice living inside the hat.
- Helmets are there to protect you from injury and the problem buying second-hand is the history of the helmet. You just don’t know if it has been in an accident and if the actual structure of the helmet is safe.
- Car seats are there to protect your child whilst traveling, unfortunately, you just don’t know the history of the car seat, it could have been in an accident, it could be passed its best before date; yes, car seats come with a best before date now!
- A baby’s cot, an old cot could have a paint on it made from lead. This is scary on its own, but this, along with a crib that you might not know if it complies to current regulations, can cause big problems; after all you want to make sure that your child is well taken care of!
- Underwear, this I think is self-explanatory, some items of clothing that you should buy new and underwear is just one of them.
- You see a lot of electronic equipment for sale second-hand, the problem with buying these items is due to the age of the product and what you are getting for your money. If the item has blades like a blender, the chances for the reason it is for sale is probably because it doesn’t work as well as it should. Therefore, if you purchase the item it isn’t going to do the job that you hoped for. This is like buying a second-hand computer, there is often a reason for selling and this probably means that the item is old and outdated.
Why Buy New
There are just some things that you should buy new, it might mean saving up a bit longer but in the end, you will end up with an item that is fit for the purpose that you need. It is a waste of money if you buy an item second-hand and it doesn’t work or only lasts a few weeks, you have no guarantee and you are also unable to take the appliance back. So, before you purchase an item consider the reason it is for sale in the first place.
Therefore, before you spend any money on what you might think is a bargain, think twice, you might do better to buy new instead.
If you are looking for more articles on this topic head over to the landing page where you will find links to other posts on the home.