Why You Need To Avoid Some Things Second Hand
Saving money and getting a bargain is great but it actually needs to save you money long-term. Sometimes it is not always the best advice to purchase second-hand and it might be more beneficial to save up some more and actually purchase the item brand new. It is not accepting of second-hand goods, but getting the best value items for the money involved. There are some occasions when it is better to purchase an item new rather than looking for a second-hand option.
Second Hand Items
I am all for getting a bargain and saving money where I can, what I do object to is spending money on items that in truth don’t save you money, because they might come with more than you bargained for and in the end they can even cost you more.
- If you are looking for a sun hat, you might think twice when you realize that they are very difficult to clean and you might just be a breeding ground for any animal life that the previous owner had before giving to charity. You might then have to deal with lice living inside the hat.
- Helmets are there to protect you from injury and the problem buying second-hand is the history of the helmet. You just don’t know if it has been in an accident and if the actual structure of the helmet is safe.
- Car seats are there to protect your child whilst traveling, unfortunately, you just don’t know the history of the car seat, it could have been in an accident, it could be passed its best before date; yes, car seats come with a best before date now!
- A baby’s cot, an old cot could have a paint on it made from lead. This is scary on its own, but this, along with a crib that you might not know if it complies to current regulations, can cause big problems; after all you want to make sure that your child is well taken care of!
- Underwear, this I think is self-explanatory, some items of clothing that you should buy new and underwear is just one of them.
- You see a lot of electronic equipment for sale second-hand, the problem with buying these items is due to the age of the product and what you are getting for your money. If the item has blades like a blender, the chances for the reason it is for sale is probably because it doesn’t work as well as it should. Therefore, if you purchase the item it isn’t going to do the job that you hoped for. This is like buying a second-hand computer, there is often a reason for selling and this probably means that the item is old and outdated.
Why Buy New
There are just some things that you should buy new, it might mean saving up a bit longer but in the end, you will end up with an item that is fit for the purpose that you need. It is a waste of money if you buy an item second-hand and it doesn’t work or only lasts a few weeks, you have no guarantee and you are also unable to take the appliance back. So, before you purchase an item consider the reason it is for sale in the first place.
Therefore, before you spend any money on what you might think is a bargain, think twice, you might do better to buy new instead.
If you are looking for more articles on this topic head over to the landing page where you will find links to other posts on the home.
Oh definitely the unders!!
The underwear comment stands out because it is clearly purely an emotional reason, not a practical one. Underwear IS easy to clean and there is no rational reason not to use second-hand underwear. It doesn’t *really* belong on this list. I mean, I don’t wear second-hand knickers, but I’m not kidding myself that it’s for a real good reason, other than my personal or cultural distaste of the idea.
Don’t buy anything used that cannot be sanitized if you live in an area with Meth problems. We learned that, for example, you shouldn’t buy any used soft furniture, books or even cars in the Texas panhandle because they can have residual methamphetamine all over/in them. People get sick from buying homes with it that have been “fixed up” but haven’t been properly remediated. You can’t see or smell it, but it can make you very sick.
I agree! 🙂 Thanks for visiting 🙂
I have been thinking about this one and I am inclined to agree with you, maybe it is a personal and emotional reason. Thank you for your input and to make me think again about the concept! 🙂
I never knew this thank you for sharing with us!
Comments are closed.