Have you thought about your computer and other gadgets that you use online, are you keeping your technology safe and secure? There are a few things that you must do to protect yourself and your information if you are going online!
You need to know how to protect the information that you store on your computer and to protect yourself and your family when they are surfing the web!
What Is Computer Safety?
Knowing how to protect the information that you store on your computer or smart phones is important. You don’t want to give access to this information to just anyone and without proper protection, you could be doing just that!
Using programs like AVG Ultimate All-In-One Protection does so much more for your computer than you might imagine!
Keeping Your Computer Safe
The simplest way to keep your computer safe is to ensure that your anti-virus protection is up to date!
The idea of antivirus is to protect your data on and off line!
What you might need to help you look after your computer from the inside.
- A fire wall is important to protect your computer from attack!
- Removing cookies too is something that you should do regularly!
- Organizing your computer files to increase performance! This is called optimization or defragging your computer!
Backing Up Your Computer
If you have material on your computer that you want to keep, then you need to ensure that you have a backup of all of this information!
- Digital photos
- Receipts for items you’ve purchased
- Coursework that you have written and need to keep
- Business work or notes
- Personal accounts, like your current budget
I have an external hard drive that I use to back up my computers, this ensures that all the information I have stored isn’t lost if something happens to my computer or any in my family!
How you organize passwords and come up with them must be random, you don’t want people working out passwords as this can lead you to lose important and often personal information!
If you are looking for some password tips!
- Never use the same password twice
- Change passwords frequently
- Choose random letters, don’t use words
- Mix it with numbers and characters
Keep your passwords safe, if you have to write them down make sure you protect this book as it will give access to all your personal information!
Protecting Yourself Online
As internet shopping is becoming so popular and so easy to do, it is important that you consider the sites that you purchase from are safe!
- Makes sure they are known sites
- If you are using your credit card, make sure they are ‘https://’ sites
- Never click a link to your bank from an email
- Don’t open attachments in an email from people you don’t know or don’t trust
The internet is a scary place and protecting your family as they use this amazing technology is something that we all need to think about!
Often, these items cost a lot of money, ensuring that they work well is just part of the maintenance that you would do for any high ticket item that you buy.
Protection And Peace Of Mind
If you know that your family is safe when online, then it can give you some peace of mind. It’s one less thing to worry about!
The more informed you are about current options when it comes to computers the better you will protect your information and ensure that it doesn’t fall into the wrong hands!
Therefore, if you haven’t thought about your computer protection lately, I urge you to consider what information you are sharing online and how much you protect this from those people who want to use it against you!