De-clutter Your Working Life
If you are looking for organization in your working life then it is important that you consider if there are areas that you can change to improve the time you have at home as well as the performance at work.
There are areas that will influence your working life and slight changes to some routines might improve your working life as well as your family life.
Items to consider to de-clutter
If you are thinking about having a de-clutter at work to improve the routines that you have in place, then you might want to take a step back and look at the areas that are not working before you start culling routines, having an alternative option to do the job or to put in place a new process.
- Step back and see the areas that take the longest time
- Think of a new way to do that job that will save time or money
- Talk to your manager to see if they think the solution will be possible
- Discuss alternative options and set a time limit to check that a new process is working more effectively
Talking to your manager is giving you the great position to show that you are thinking about your job. Just because a task has always been completed in a certain way doesn’t mean that it is the right way and new eyes might be able to see an alternative option.
It might not just be the tasks, if you are a hoarder, you might be keeping too much information and not throwing away the items no longer needed. While there are areas of a business that you need to keep information for a set amount of time for legal reasons, this doesn’t always mean every single scrap of paper that has entered your office space. Removing the clutter can make you seem more efficient at your job.
Think of a new filing system, it might help you move away from storing items you no longer need and move forward professionally.
There are options available, it is finding a solution that meet your needs, there are different alternatives because it depends on the person and how they work will depend on the system they use.
The different types of systems:
- A daily system that you have a file for each day of the month and one for each month too, then you file into the dates for the month that a task needs completing, and anything in the future gets stored in the appropriate month file until it can be divided into the days of the month.
- Having a current file that needs completing, a filing file and a file that is waiting for something. I have never been comfortable with this system and I feel that I would miss something.
- For me I store information that is current in my desk under an appropriate title and I add the information that needs completing to my diary, it has to be crossed off or moved forward and it never gets forgotten about because there is a note staring at me.
Finding a system that works for you is important it allows you to look and feel more organized creating a less stressful environment with which to work.