If you are looking to save money on your grocery shopping, finding new ways to cut the costs can be difficult. However, it is possible to reduce your current costs but still manage to feed your family.
- Before you go shopping, write a list of the items that you require, this can save you purchasing items that you already have and not getting the items you really required.
- The best way to create a shopping list that is going to work, is to decide in advance, the food that you are going to eat for the week. If you know the food and the ingredients required then it is easier to make sure that your list contains all the ingredients that you require for the week. This can drastically reduce your shopping bill and it can make a difference in the health of your family, because you plan meals to eat and don’t wait till the last-minute and end up with a take out.
- If you need to shop regularly then it is important that you are only buying the food that you need. If you tend to buy items that are not on your list it can lead to blowing the budget and is not a good idea. If you can’t resist, then reduce the amount of times you visit the store.
- If you are finding that the full priced items are too expensive, try looking at the reduced items, see if they might work better in your budget and enable you to have more food. But it is important that you still consider the best before dates and not eat food that is not good for your health. I find this is great way to make some cheap snacks for the freezer or to give the family an extra treat.
- If you are not already doing so, then making the shift from some of the big supermarkets to the small but cheaper supermarkets like Aldi. I have found that my shopping bill reduced drastically, by changing the shop. It might not cater for the name brand products, but their products are great and are better value for money.
- Reducing the amount of meat that you eat each week can reduce the amount that you are paying out. Meat is an expensive produce and aiming to have one or two meat free meals per week can reduce your shopping bill. If you find resistance, then reduce the amount of meat that you use in your cooking, smaller portions are healthier and you will be saving money.
It is possible to save money on your grocery bill without resorting to a reduction in the food available. However, by planning what you are going to eat and where you are purchasing your groceries from, can have a dramatic effect on the amount of money that you spend on your groceries each month. Creating a food budget is fun and can offer some challenges but it is one that is worth it in the long run.