It is really difficult for many people to communicate how they are feeling, yet this is a skill that will be invaluable especially if you suffer from depression or anxiety. You can help yourself, these 5 actions will help you with your feelings and understanding them better!
Emotions and feelings are personal, however, if you are able to undo those feelings and understand the reasons behind them, it can help how you feel!
The more I understand how I feel and why the more in control I am when I go into different situations that could potentially overwhelm me!
Affiliate links support How To Get Organized At Home
How To Control Emotions
This is one area that I struggle with if emotions didn’t affect me I wouldn’t be feeling depressed or have issues with anxiety.
However, what I do know is that by using certain techniques and actions I can help and improve my own feelings and feel better in a situation.
- Writing things down. This might sound really easy and in truth it is! But the act of physically writing down on paper how I am feeling helps me to sort those thoughts that can bring me down, and I can start to take back control.
- Talking is a great way to put your thoughts and feelings into some sort of coherent sentence or two. It can help you undo some of the negative talks that often gets in the way. You must find a friend or professional that you can open up to and to trust them with these words that they are not going to use them negatively against you.
- Your feelings and how you express them is a part of you. You might be quicker to tears or to feel an emotional connection with something that others will brush off! Don’t be ashamed of how these emotions show, by bringing these to the surface and dealing with them, you will be in a better position mentally than those people who brush off their feelings and hide them deep inside.
- Learning to face your feelings is hard, but it is something that will help you long-term. The more that you can understand your feelings and why you are feeling certain ways will help you deal with those emotions and feelings. You are not then trapping those feelings deep inside which can lead to mental health issues later!
- Don’t hide your emotions completely, if no one can see that something has hurt your feelings or made you feel sad, how are they to know that they too need to change. You will help other people develop better relationship building skills.
Free Depression Printable
A simple depression printable to help you! Simply opt-in to have it sent straight to your inbox!
Why Control Your Emotions And Feelings
Having control of our emotions and feelings is something that’s expected of us as we enter into the adult world.
This means that we are not just sitting there crying when a colleague is rude. A world like this, whilst sensitive to others emotions and feelings, just isn’t like that.
You might need to have a certain amount of control over your emotions, especially if you have a tendency for anger. There are techniques that you can use that will help to defuse a situation and to reduce the anger you feel on the inside.
However, not all emotion has a negative impact on how we feel, yet keeping your cool and controlling how you are feeling is a skill that many people are unaware of until they find themselves in a situation that is out of control.
My anxiety sometimes gets the better of me, I dislike feeling out of control and that, for me, is in the supermarket or just walking the dogs.
Having ways in which I can reduce the emotional feelings I have in different situations is important, it allows me to do the things that I want and need to do!
Controlling Emotions And Feelings At Work
No one wants the ‘cry baby’ label at work, it doesn’t look professional and it will make it hard to progress in the business if you are unable to deal with tough and difficult situations.
Sometimes the politics at work is brutal. I have worked in places where seriously it was a relief to leave! The stress was too much to deal with and keeping the emotions in check is really hard when you are dealing with the public, too.
But it isn’t good for your mental health to have to deal with the stress for holding back tears and frustration!
If you let it go it can have a negative impact on your future career prospects so where do you go to release that built up tension? Do you take it home, or push it down inside?
The latter is what I did for many years, pretending I was strong, but on the inside, I was slowly killing myself. I didn’t feel good, yet I thought it was a sign of weakness to let this out!
Letting Go Of Emotion
When I did let it out it was overwhelming. I am still dealing with these emotions and feelings and at last, I feel like I might find the end of a very long tunnel!
I am so glad that I work for myself so I can have those bad days that I know happen. When my emotions and feelings are too much to deal with!
Therefore, the more you are able to deal with your emotions and to ensure that you aren’t bottling things up, the better control you will have.
Writing things down and talking to a person you can trust, like your doctor, is important as they might be able to offer you help and advice to ensure that you take care of your mental health!
Looking for more articles on depression and emotions? How To Deal With A Low Mood, is a great place to start!