Some of the best home cleaning tips to help keep your home clean and tidy. It isn’t easy to keep on top of the cleaning as well as a wife and mother, I know the struggles and the heartache of trying to balance these tasks. I felt like a failure if my home wasn’t clean or cleaning came instead of fun and games. It was only when my children were older that I realized that I did spend a lot of time with them and left the cleaning until they were in bed, asleep. I think that is why all three of mine can sleep whilst I vacuum their rooms, even now as adults they can still sleep through me vacuuming!
The Best Home Cleaning Tips
You can have a clean home, without spending hours cleaning each day. I know that it will never be perfect, don’t worry I have tried unsuccessfully for years to clean my home to my perfectionist standard; with children, husband and dogs this just isn’t possible.
This is why I follow these home cleaning tips to keep on top of the tasks I need to do when I work full-time, at home. Keeping your home clean is not easy, there are so much that we need to do, often the cleaning is in last place, after the day’s activities and this is not always conducive time as you’ll be tired and need time to relax too.
Therefore, if you are looking for tips for keeping your house cleaner, these are my top 15 home cleaning tips:
- To put things away as you finish with things will keep your clutter down to a minimum. I even do this when I am working, I will only have my day planner and the items I need for the activity that I am doing on my desk. This keeps me focused and stops my desk from looking like some great big pile of paper. It keeps the area you are working in tidy and organized.
- Create routines for your cleaning; these are great for completing tasks without even thinking about them. Don’t go mad and have a whole list of chores that you want to create into a routine, you have to add them one at a time, it takes about 3 weeks to form a habit so you need to only add one new task to your routine once a month.
- The ideal way to clean is from top to bottom, with the dust falling down and cleaning the floor last; however, I hate dirty floors, they annoy me so I start with the floors and that makes me feel better and the rest of the tasks don’t annoy me as much. Therefore, start with the tasks that you hate being dirty and work forward from there.
- Don’t be afraid to cheat at some of your cleaning, there is nothing wrong with just vacuuming the middle of the room or the high traffic areas and leaving the rest un-vacuumed especially if you are short on time.
- Dirty dishes in the sink can really pull the rest of the house down; if you have a dishwasher teach all family members how to put their dirty dishes in them when they have used an item. If you don’t have a dishwasher, I leave hot water in the sink and if the item isn’t washed at least it is soaking and doesn’t take long to wash up if you are passing.
- Mould on windows and windowsills, caused by moisture and it is often caused by a lack of ventilation. We are all encouraged to seal our homes to increase the savings on our heating bills, however, there is a disadvantage to this, we leave our homes with a build-up of moisture that can’t escape and we create a new problem, mould. To stop mould in the first place it is important to think of ventilation in our homes, this will reduce the need for cleaning mould.
- Laundry is a pain, the best tip for keeping on top of the laundry in all its stages is to complete the cycle before starting the next load. This reduces the amount of laundry waiting to dry, which can increase the humidity in your home, potentially increasing the chances of mould in your home.
- Don’t take forever on a chore. For example, dust your whole house in ten minutes 2 – 3 times per week rather than half an hour in one go. Your house will be cleaner and it becomes less of a chore.
- Make your bed every day, a made bed can help the look of the bedroom being clean and tidy. It is a great house cleaning tip!
- Ensure that items in your home have somewhere where they belong, if they don’t have a home, a place to put them when you’re finished with them, you will make cleaning your home, even more, difficult. If you don’t have enough storage, consider purging some of the items in your home to make room for everything that you have.
- We all know that items aren’t always put away after use, try having a five-minute tidy-up twice a day. This is a great way to tackle items that aren’t put away and to create order in your home. If you work away from the home a great idea is to spend five minutes in your morning routine making sure items are away and do this again in the evening before you sit down to relax and unwind from the day’s activities.
- One of the easiest home cleaning tip is to have places for your coats and shoes to go. There is nothing worse than shoes kicked around all over your entryway, it can make your entrance into your home chaotic and this can have a negative impact on how you feel when you walk through the door.
- When you are in a room, try to do tidying before you leave, if you use the toilet clean it before you leave the bathroom. If you wash your hands, clean out the sink. If you do this regularly you will begin to feel that you aren’t really spending much time cleaning, you might even miss when you are cleaning as it becomes a habit. You will live in one of those self-cleaning homes; as no one will know when you actually do your cleaning!
- If you are easily overwhelmed by the amount of cleaning that you need to do, consider shutting off the other areas of your home and concentrate on one task at a time. Multi-tasking doesn’t work, you will end up with lots of part finished tasks and that isn’t anyone’s objectives.
- Doing one task at a time is key, dust your whole house or vacuum your whole house rather than doing a whole room’s cleaning in one go. Often it is quicker and you get a feeling of complete accomplishment rather than doing smaller areas with lots of different tasks.
These are just some of the best home cleaning tips that I think will help people who are struggling to not only clean but, to do all the other things that are part of the busy lives we lead. Keeping your home clean is challenging, but by putting these tips to work, you might realize that it is possible to have a clean home, even with children, pets and other commitments too. You need to find that balance, the one that helps you to feel so much more complete than ever before.
If you are looking for more articles on home cleaning tips head over to the landing page where you will find links to other posts on cleaning.
What is your favourite cleaning tip?