Cleaning your windows is more than just removing the dirt so the sun gets through into your room; it is about ensuring that you are taking care of the glass too. Glass can and will damage over time if it is not kept clean, there are some particles that are in the environment that, if allowed to stay on the glass for long periods. The minimum you should clean your windows is twice a year, whether you do them yourself or hire a window cleaner the choice is personal, I do my windows myself because it keeps the costs down.
Why You Should Clean Your Windows
Cleaning your windows regularly is important, there are many different reasons for keeping them clean including:
- Increasing the life expectancy of the glass, some elements including salt and hard water, if left on the window for long periods, can have a negative impact on the glass and it can and will start to deteriorate; this means it will need replacing sooner than if you keep them clean.
- The view from your window will be more appealing if you keep them clean; it allows you to see outside and for people to see into your home too.
- The efficiency of the glass and heat transfer is more effective if you keep your windows clean. In winter, your windows will keep more heat in and in the summer, they will keep the heat out of your rooms.
- If you employ someone to clean your windows for you, you are helping your local economy in keeping someone in a job. The benefits of this will have an impact on some one’s life.
- You are able to check your windows if you clean them regularly, you will be able to keep an eye on any potential problems and if there are any maintenance, issues that you might need to address sooner than you anticipated.
- Windows attract mould and it is important to keep this to a minimum in your home and by cleaning your windows regularly you can see if there is a build of mould, and then look into any options to help reduce this in the future.
- If you are thinking about putting your home on the housing market, clean windows are necessary, they allow natural light into your home and make it more appealing to potential buyers.
What To Use To Clean Your Windows
Window cleaning is a personal choice as what you like to use, you might prefer a shop bought product or, you might even make your own. What is important is being happy with the product you choose.
I have tried them all, I have moved home many times and I needed to have clean windows, I have used purchased cleaning products and while they work I was never happy with the cost of the item, I always thought it was a high price for the job it did.
I have tried newspaper as a drying agent after washing down the windows and again it is ok, I got the print on my hands, which I don’t like and made me dislike this method for ensuring a streak-free shine.
My favourite window cleaning method is white vinegar and water solution with a dash of washing up detergent. It gets the windows clean and streak free and it is cheap.
The most important advice is, when cleaning windows, to do it when it is cool, you don’t want the cleaning solution to dry on the windows before you are able to shine the window and remove the streaks.
Therefore, if you are looking for a reason to clean your windows, the best reason is that it can save you money long-term. Dirty windows can and will damage the glass over time and this can mean needing replacement windows sooner and we all know that window replacement is not a cheap option at all.
If you are looking for more articles on this topic head over to the landing page where you will find links to other posts on cleaning.