If you want a life full of fun and excitement, it often requires some form of managing your time to the point where it allows you to get the tasks complete and moving forward with your goals and dreams. However, sometimes it seems that you will never reach your goals because you just can’t fit into your day, the tasks that will allow you to move forward and start living your dreams. Don’t despair, it is possible to become your own master of your time, rather than your time being in control of you and your dreams. These tips on time management will get you back in control of your time and your life.
12 Of The Best Tips On Time Management
Creating a way to manage your time is important; yes, life can get in the way, however, if you’re focused and in control of your time, you will reach your goals and your dreams. There are things in life that can try to jump in the way, but by staying focused and practice some of these tips on time management, you will be in a better position to fulfill your dreams.
However, I must warn you about the most important tactic, which will try to derail your goals. It is procrastination, and it will try to stop you doing what you need to do. It is something that you alone will be able to fight, put into practice your time management tips to tackle this destructive element, don’t let it win.
- Learning to say no to some of the tasks that come your way might sound rude, but the truth is you can’t do everything. If you try, it will become overwhelming very quickly, you might end up with nothing completed and you’re left feeling like a failure. If you take on only those tasks that you can actually do, you will complete them to a higher standard making you feel better and able to accomplish what you set out to do.
- Complete the most important task first. This will help you move forward through your day, as you are not worrying about the most important task. It will distract you from completing other tasks because the biggest and most important task will seem like it is growing and it could make you feel that it is too big to complete in time. Tackling it first will get it out-of-the-way, it will make the day seem easier and more manageable.
- You will not perform to your best if you aren’t properly rested, that means taking breaks during your day. If you work on a computer you will need to take hourly breaks, even if it is just five minutes at a time. You must consider the diet you are eating too; an unhealthy diet can increase the tiredness that you feel and you become unfocused and unable to perform to your highest standard.
- Whoever thought multi-tasking was some good idea, they were not thinking straight. Multi-tasking is a great way to lose control of your time management skills. All it creates is a group of tasks at various stages of completeness; it will give you no sense of accomplishment and can add to your feelings of frustration and annoyance.
- Have systems in place, which allow you to move forward with your day, knowing that you have organizational routines that allow you to stay focused and in control. It doesn’t matter if you are at home or go out to work, having the right organizational systems in all areas will make your day run smoother as you will be more in control.
- Use a calendar to organize your day, make sure that you know when appointments are, it will give you a basic outline as to what your day looks like.
- Use an organizer to pull together the tasks that you need to do and bring this together with your calendar, you can then create a plan for your day, you will know which tasks you need to do, as well as if there are any appointments which you need to attend, too. If you want to look at more information on using a day planner check this article.
- Schedule appointments in advance but if you need to complete tasks before attending the meeting, schedule these into your organizer so you’re prepared and are not left rushing around trying to complete a project hours before an appointment or meeting.
- Working to deadlines can help, but set them early. If you have a meeting to attend always plan to arrive before the start, if you have a project to finish for a client, make sure you set the deadline before it is due, this way if anything does happen in your life at the last-minute, you’re covered because you have planned this margin into your working life.
- Review; you must check how things work, without this when you come to plan again you might end up making the same mistake twice. It is better to look back and realize that the time you allowed to plan for an important meeting wasn’t long enough to get everything done. By reviewing your experiences, you can adjust how you previously planned a project to allowing more time in the future.
- I love time restrictions when I am working, they can help keep me focused and on track. I know when the alarm sounds, I need to have either finished the task, or at least nearly finished and I am then having some down time to unwind. If the task isn’t complete I can reset the timer but only after having a break.
- Spending time in your day to create a plan is going to help how you work and manage your time. However, spending too long on planning can lead to little time to do the task in-hand. So, while planning is important, don’t use this as a way to get out of completing the tasks you actually need to do. Use these tips on time management to improve your time management and not use it as an excuse to procrastinate.
Therefore, these tips on time management are there to urge you to make the most of the time that you have, don’t get distracted on things that don’t add value to your life. Heading towards your goals and dreams is possible if you are able to manage your time management and not allow procrastination a foothold on your time management plan.
If you are looking for more articles on tips on time management head over to the landing page where you will find links to other posts on time management.